Woodworking and carpentry can be both fun and safe. We take safety very seriously in this class and spend a lot of focus on becoming comfortable with the use of the tools in the shop. There are some general safety rules that we follow, as well as following specific safety procedures for each tool. We have a lot of students working with a lot of tools, so it is important that we are all on the same page with what we are doing in the shop.
By the end of this class students will be able to:
- demonstrate safe and effective use of all power tools in the shop.
- identify and use the appropriate tool for the task at hand.
- identify the uses and limitations of each tool.
- pass a safety and operation test on all tools before using them on their own.
- demonstrate safe shop behavior at all times.
- identify specific dangers of each tool in order to minimize risk of injury.
This is a project-based class that uses building and carpentry projects to achieve class goals. Students will work on specific projects that use certain tools as they develop their skills, knowledge and comfort with each tool and with working with wood in general.
Students will use the Class WIKI from the left side menu to receive and submit assignments. That is a place where we can work collaboratively to expand our learning networks, maximizing what we all take out of this class.
You may click on a tool below or follow the drop down menu at the top to access more information, watch videos, and do small assignments about each tool.